Friday, September 7, 2012

Art in the Pearl demo

 
On Sunday and Monday I brought Clemence out to Art in the Pearl in downtown Portland to demonstrate spinning for the masses.  I was in the company of several talented fiber artists, and I am so grateful to them for having me there.  Linda Hendrickson taught people (including me) how to do card weaving, Joel Weber brought a Leclerc folding loom and taught rug weaving, and Bhakti awakened my interest in the Russian support spindle that has been languishing in a little wooden box on my shelf for over a year.  I so enjoy bringing the wheel out in public, and even more so in the company of others who love fiber arts.  We were absolutely swamped with people for almost the entire time we were out there!  Folks are fascinated by the spinning wheel and the looms.  They ARE fascinating, indeed, but I'm more fascinated by the fact that we have become so isolated from the sources of common things - cloth, in this case - that we're surprised when we come in contact with them.

(And doesn't that wheel look BIG with little old me behind it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment