Monday, July 22, 2013

Rambouillet x Cheviot fleece

Rambouillet x Cheviot fleece by Mathilde Lind

I have this Beastie soaking in a tub overnight. I love a lofty, springy fleece, and this one is just perfect.  It is astonishingly clean and sound, with plump, well-defined locks, and I remember it being surprisingly inexpensive. The ewe's name is Robin.  Trouble is, I've lost the farmer's name and now I'll never be able to get any more!

EDIT: I found the receipt!!!  The farm is Two Roans Ranch in Maupin, and it looks like this is a standard cross for them, so there should be more fleeces.  I finished washing and drying a pound or so of this fleece.  With how lofty the wool is, a pound looks like two or three pounds of any other wool.  I carded a batt, and I am itching to spin it. but I want to finish a big orange sparkly bunny batt that I'm in the middle of spinning before I start on something new, mostly because all of the CPWs are taken up with that or other projects (one is full of cormo, and the other is halfway full of merino in blues from Big Alice) and I seem to be inconsolable without a CPW to spin this beauty.  I think that it will be the Best Sock Yarn Ever since Manx Loaghtan semi-woolen 3-ply.  (No, seriously, try that.  It's yummy.  Durable, squishy, hard to felt, hugs your feet, etc.  LOVE.  If you like it, your next step is Ryeland.  Whoooo-eee!)  So, if this wool sounds amazing to you, email Two Roans Ranch.  I will try to get some batts and maybe finished yarn in the shop in the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment