Monday, July 29, 2013

Obadiah Tharp Great Wheel

obadiah tharp_0005obadiah tharp_0004obadiah tharp_0007obadiah tharp_0006obadiah tharp_NEWobadiah tharp_0003
obadiah tharp_0002obadiah tharp_0001

Obadiah Tharp Great Wheel, a set on Flickr.
I thought that I should share these scans in a more searchable form for the general public (AKA those not on Ravelry). This is a sales brochure that came with my copy of Legacy of the Great Wheel by Katy Turner. These wheels were produced by her and her partner after she realized that her antique great wheel was not up to the task anymore, as she was spinning at a production level. I love the look of these wheels, and they seem to be engineered beautifully with the committed spinner in mind. Someone just contacted me on Ravelry because she has a Tharp wheel (jealous!), and I realized that I should make these scans easier to find for the casual searcher who picked up one from a yard sale or what have you. I bet a few of these have made it into antique stores even though they are vintage, not antique, wheels. I already have two great wheels and a Minor's head, but I would snap one of these up in an instant. I try to keep an eye out for them, and I wouldn't be surprised if I did find one, since they were made and sold in my region.

I'm in the middle of planning my move to Eugene in September, but, once I'm settled, I'm hoping to teach a great wheel workshop. I'm still waiting on a new spindle for one of them (along with two unrelated flyers - so three wheels are down right now) from the talented hands of Ron Antoine, so that would be the only hold up. If you're interested in a great wheel workshop or a private lesson, please contact me. There's a romance in these wheels that treadle wheels cannot even approach, as much as I adore them. The great wheel is pure magic, a joyous dance of spinner, wheel, and wool. My first moments of confident spinning on my first great wheel made me feel like a graceful maiden in a beautiful courtship dance. Waltzing Mathilde indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment