Thursday, September 12, 2013

Time to talk... time for everything

Well, it has finally happened.

The last few weeks have been a whirlwind for me.  I turned 33 (finally!  the magic age!) and I moved (most of the way) into my dream location in the middle of the forest outside of Eugene.  Somehow, with complete trust in the All, I sent my wishes out into the world, threw my trust and efforts behind them, and they manifested in ways that I could have never dreamed.  I pointed to a tiny town on the map, and that town is now my home.  I wished (without hope!) to have gardens, to live alone, to have space to spin and weave, to be able to bring all of my animals (6 rabbits, 6 chickens, and my dog and cat) - all of these things have happened.

My words here will likely be many, but sporadic and in waves, because I get no Internet and barely any phone reception in my isolated forest home.  However, I will have so much more to talk about!  I've only spent 4 days there so far, but I've had so many Adventures!

My town has 260 residents.  It's a former logging town in the middle of the Willamette National Forest.  I've never been able to leave Portland very often since I moved there in 2006, so I had no idea that Oregon was the site of a renaissance in covered bridge building, and many of those bridges survive.  One of them is a five-minute walk from my house.


On the other side of the bridge, several riverside trails begin.  There are bats everywhere at night, and a snake scooted across our path as we walked, and I had to restrain my dog from chasing it!  


Theo got to swim in the river.  He likes to bite the water as he swims, and he finds splashing absolutely maddening.  This was maybe the third time I ever saw him swim.  It was over 90 outside, so he needed no encouragement to jump right in!



We spend yesterday morning spinning on the deck (cormo on a CPW - the perfect combination), listening to the cries of a hawk in the distance, and enjoying the wind that sweeps through the valley.



A great wheel has found its home at the front of the house, with lots of natural light and a forest view.

And here are the views from my bedroom and from the sewing/weaving/wool processing room (yeah!):



There's a creek running behind the house, with forest beyond, and the entire front yard is full of vegetable beds and fruit trees. The surrounding trees are a good mix of deciduous trees and conifers, so we should get some fall color.

At this point, I'm still too breathless to write well.  More soon?

No comments:

Post a Comment