Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A new friend! My very own Obadiah Tharp wheel!

Skeiners are mounted on the back side of the table using the plying guide to pin them into a hole.  There is a hole on each side, in keeping with the reversible nature of the wheel.  Sorry about the bad lighting!


Acorn tension knob - there is also an acorn
on top of the upright and matching
crosshatching on the spindle post
Those who have read back into my older posts know that I have long been interested in great wheels, and I've longed for a particular wheel made back in the 1970s.  It is the Obadiah Tharp wheel, which started out as a modern great wheel for production spinning for Katy Turner, author of the fabulous book Legacy of the Great Wheel, when she started to overtax her fragile antique wheels.  Well, last night I spent some time in the excellent company of Wanda and Ed Jenkins of Turkish spindle fame, and I picked up my very own Obadiah Tharp great wheel!  It is the Sarah model, which was the deluxe version, and it includes two skeiners and a plying guide.  The underside has a very, very faint maker's mark that gives the production date as February 22, 1977, and the wheel only had one owner before the Jenkins picked it up from her estate sale (a living estate sale - the owner is still alive, just elderly and unable to use the wheel anymore).  The spindle still contained the last yarn she spun on this lovely wheel, as well as Wanda's spinning and my own initial experiments.  I wound it all off as one single skein, which I have no plans to finish or use, but to keep and display as part of the history of the wheel.

Plying guide inserted in table just below the drive wheel
This is the first modern great wheel I've used, and I've used 4 antique great wheels (of which I own three).  I also was able to use Ed's GW#1 last night, which was SO WONDERFUL.  He insists that the other two he made are much improved, so they must be heavenly to use.  #1 is smooth, smooth, smooth, and a treat to admire and touch.  By contrast, the OT is a bit clunky, with a heavy, solid feel.  (If you're familiar with wheels from the 70s, you probably know what I'm saying!  Many of them feel very heavy in comparison to antiques.)  It has an accelerator head, so it really doesn't need to be light and fast, because it takes only a slight turn of the wheel to insert sufficient twist.  The trade off is that it feels so much more reliable than the lightweight antiques, and the alignment stays consistent (a major problem in all but one of the antique GWs that I have used.)  It was hard for me to find the right balance of tension to drive the relatively heavy head and spindle without making it hard to turn the wheel and making me worried about putting too much stress on the wheel.  I tried changing out the drive band, but settled back on the surprisingly thick, ropey band that came with it.  I plan on ordering a thick poly band, as I think that will let me run at a lower tension.  I tried a thin one, but it wasn't sufficient, although I think the magic combination will be thick poly for the wheel, thin poly between the accelerator and the spindle.  I did dress the band, but I could stand to do it more.  That said, I managed to balance the tension properly, cleaned a bunch of wax and lint from the grooves, and got it spinning beautifully.


Cormo wool on the spindle - note the thick drive band
There are a few ingenious and unusual features that I love about this wheel.  It is fully reversible, so right- and left-handed spinners can use it with equal comfort.  It has two nice grooves in the drive wheel and does not easily throw the drive band.  Tension is easy to adjust and the tensioning mechanisms are durable and thoughtfully constructed.  The head is removable, but there is a little metal key that one can turn to add tension to the post and keep the head from turning during spinning.  The spindle and flange are large and can hold a large amount of yarn.  The drive wheel does not have anything to keep it on the axle (most wheels have a retaining pin of some sort), but instead relies on the lean of post to keep it in place, which works well.  The axle is long, and this allows the spinner to wind off a full spindle onto one of the skeiners.  The skeiners are stored on the side of the wheel using a pin that doubles as a guide for plying.  When needed, the skeiners easily can be detached from the table and placed on the wheel axle.  This means that the spinner winds off from a position in alignment with the spindle, which makes for a more consistent process.  (It is Bad News if your cop gets disorganized while you're winding off.  I've had to throw one away in the past because it was tangled beyond my patience and ability.)  To ply, the spinner can mount both skeiners with their singles on the axle and run both strands through the plying guide to keep them consistent and under light tension.

Close up of accelerator tension - the metal post
tips are connected to threaded bolts that move
the axle of the accelerator wheel in relation to
the spindle, mounted below.
The accelerator head has multiple grooves with different diameters to give the spinner different ratios.  I did not see the ratios stated in the literature that came with the wheel (I think this was before that was standard information with a  new wheel), so I will calculate and post those as well.  I was able to spin a very fine cormo singles without much effort on the highest ratio, turning the wheel very slowly and then adding only about a quarter turn or a little less at the end of each make.

My only concern about it is that I worry that the axle will wear the wheel over time, as it doesn't have the heavy duty axle bearing that I usually see in great wheels.  If you are looking at buying one of these, I would look at the wheel hub with a critical eye.  That said, I would always look carefully at the hub in any wheel before buying!

The accelerator head inserts into this post, and
the metal key pushes the metal plate into the
post to hold the head in place and prevent
twisting and misalignment with the drive wheel.
All in all, it is a beautiful wheel and should give me many years of happy spinning and teaching!  I love all spinning, and all spinning wheels, but there are a few types that are just magical for me.  The most striking are the great wheel and the Tibetan spindle.  My favorite wheel is my homely Ouellet Canadian production wheel with its funny paint job and finish nails for flyer hooks, but great wheel spinning is thrilling on a whole different level.  I love to dance with wool and wheel, to be connected with the fibers and the twist in a much more intimate and subtle way, to look down the length of two yards of yarn at a time and see the twist in its context, and to experience a new kind of grace that I never before imagined to find in myself.  It is also a privilege to be the caretaker of this beautiful dancing partner, to honor the time she spent with another's hands, to invest in her a portion of my life's joy and creative force, and to treat her well so that one day she may dance with yet another spinner after my time is done.

Skeiners mounted in plying position on the
drive wheel axle - note position of plying guide
in table between the axle and the spindle
Multiple grooves on the accelerator allow for
different ratios (This is before cleaning!)

9 comments:

  1. Wow, an amazing thing to pick up and bring home! This does not - - by any means - - look like a garage sale find. Very impressive! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was definitely well loved by her owner, who kept her in great condition. I'm told that the former owner spun on her regularly. I'm very lucky!

      Delete
  2. Hi, that is the most wonderful wheel, It has elegance as well as function in spades. I hope you have many happy years spinning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures and excellent descriptions. I'm so glad this wheel found a wonderful home with you!

    You've probably already found that there's not much difference in the ratios between the grooves. Ed put three different diameter levels on the minors head of GW3 thinking to give the spinner ratio options but when I tested them the difference between the smallest whorl and largest was only .25 revolutions. From 26 - 1 to 25.75 - 1. With such a huge wheel the difference between step downs would have to be proportionately large.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Came across your post on Google. My mother-in-law is selling her same wheel, which she purchased in 1982 for $925. We are wondering what the value is today? Can anyone help with that? Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have any interest in a bottle of “carding and spinning oil” and/or a block of dried up gunk labeled “belt dressing”? Both are from the “Obadiah Tharp Company, 8406 SW 58th Ave, Portland, Oregon 97219. I noticed that “Oregon” is spelled out… not abbreviated. The paper label on the "carding and spinning oil" is super old, yellowed, become unglued and taped on with a piece of yellow/brown packing tape. It might be an interesting conversation piece and/or "complete" your Obadiah Tharp wheel even if just for decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS. my ravelry name is meralgia and you could pm me through that site

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does anyone know the approximate value of my Sarah Obadiah Great Wheel signed 1976? It is in excellent condition.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does anyone know the approximate value of my Sarah Obadiah Great Wheel signed 1976? It is in excellent condition.

    ReplyDelete