Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The magic of finishing yarn

This is the Rambouillet X Cheviot, overplied just a bit to add durability and bounce for sock knitting.

Fresh off the wheel:
This is a 94" skein reduced to about 12" diameter in a mess of twist!

 

After a bath and lots of snapping (no thwacking):

I still add a solid foot of length when I stretch this skein out between my hands.

It's so lovely now, just full of bounce and stretch.  Just as I hoped, this yarn will yield socks that hug the feet and are wonderfully warm and lightweight.  It is woolen-spun, so not the ideal of durability, but I started with a medium fiber and plied it tight, which should mitigate some of the durability issue.  In return, I have a yarn with much more air in it than your typical sock yarn, and I can't imagine that it will be as problematic as superwash merino, which is the unlikely standard right now for socks.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment