Monday, April 30, 2012

Warping and spinning

Home built warping board Take Two is working well.  I've been winding warps for a shawl from handspun Border Leicester wool, and I just ordered another pound of the stuff for the weft from SuDan Farm.  Turns out that a big shawl takes a lot of yarn - who knew?  It's a good thing that I spin by the pound!  It's also a good thing that I spin on a Canadian Production Wheel that just plows through wool.

Sadly, I didn't take photos of today's adventure.  I went to my friend's workplace, which is a local college's veterinary school, and got to take as much fleece as I wanted out of the barn.  All of the sheep were sheared on Friday, and, while they're a motley mix and not raised for handspinners, I think that I got some decent Romney cross wool from the lot.  I brought home four fleeces and a parking citation... and a Navajo rug that I found for $10 at Goodwill!

More photos to come when there's more natural light - a friend gave me a Norwegian Princess spinning wheel as a maybe long-term loan, maybe to keep, who knows?  It's dreamy.

No comments:

Post a Comment