Friday, April 20, 2012

Weaving on the Allen loom


My friend Xtine sold me her grandmother's much-loved and long-idle loom three years ago, and I've spent the interim longing to weave and being far too intimidated by the idea of warping it on my own.

Now, armed with books and the Internet, I am ready.  On Saturday I built a warping board... on Sunday I rested, on Monday I warped, and on Tuesday morning before work I wove a scarf.  Just like that!

Warp: Cascade 220, Weft: Handspun BFL and silk
Among the books that Xtine gave me with the loom are her grandmother's weaving journal from the early 1950s and letters from the family of Arthur Allen, the man who made the loom in Milwaukie, Oregon.  The letters are typewritten on letterhead, but with some handwritten notes, and they contain tips and patterns.

Now that I've woven on this loom, it went from seeming absolutely massive to looking rather small - the weaving width is only 30"!  I'm wondering how I can fit a 45"+ floor loom into my space...

11 comments:

  1. Mathilde, I'm an experienced weaver on both jack and countermarch looms. A friend of mine has just inherited an old Allen Folding Loom, and is looking for help with it. I'm wondering if you'd be willing to photocopy the letters from the Allen family and share them with us, as she's a total newbie and I've never tied up a counterbalanced loom. Thanks. Google was my friend here, as I try to locate a manual or any info about this old loom! You can reach me at andreamatters@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you please share the documentation on Allen Looms that you mentioned in this post? Email: cistersanzer@gmail.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am purchasing an Allen loom this weekend and would also appreciate any information. I am a beginning weaver. meganlea311@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Has anyone gotten a reply from her? I also have this loom and am stumped. Looking for instructions, Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. Nice weaving! How rude of me not to comment on that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know this is an old post, but I bought an Allen loom a couple of years ago on Craigslist and would like to have the documentation as well! I didn't know what the brand was until some recent searching because the little brand plaque was missing.

    mizuchi.snek@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you get the directions?? I would love them taylor-kristina@wi.rr.com

      Delete
  7. Do you still have the documents? Have you been able to scan them? I would love to have a copy of everything you have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you get the directions?? I would love them taylor-kristina@wi.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just given an Allen loom, & also need instructions. If anyone has anything, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a basic 4-harness, 6-treadle counterbalance loom. A book called "Learning to Weave" by Deborah Chandler will tell you everything you need to know.

      Delete