Sunday, April 1, 2012

Wheels come in waves

In the last two weeks, I have obtained my dream wheel, and one whose history and beauty took my breath away.  The dream wheel:


He is a Ouellet ("Willet") Canadian production wheel.  I named him Germain after many of the men in my grandmother's side of the family, all of whom were living in the same region of Quebec as these wheels were made.

Look at the knot in that retaining pin!

 The first time I spun on Germain, it was like he was a part of my body enabling me to spin exactly how I best like to spin - fast, long draw, with big, sweeping arm movements.  I tend to get cramped when I sit too long in a closed position, so I spin sidesaddle and keep my hands rather far from the orifice.  Big movements, lots of control - they're key for me to stay limber and spin consistently.
Border Leicester wool roving spun long draw on Day 1 with the wheel!
The German wedding wheel is up next!

No comments:

Post a Comment