Saturday, October 19, 2013

Colorwork?

I look a Fair Isle knitting class today.  I've never done colorwork before, other than very simple striped scarves, mostly because I was snobby about color and only wanted to do cables and lace in solid colors.  I'm still not convinced that I will love the final products, but I was tired of not knowing how to do it.  I have whole Shetland fleeces to spin in dark moorit, light moorit, mioget, medium grey, silver, and white, so it seems prudent to learn Fair Isle and work up a couple of hats while I have so much wool in such a color range.  It's also nice to take a knitting class and have some confirmation that I'm not totally screwing it up, since I'm self-taught and wouldn't necessarily know any better.

I have opinions: Knitting with both hands sucks.  It sucks because knitting English style sucks.  Also, purling sucks.  I'm glad that I can do these things, but I seriously can't wait to go back to my comfort zone and knit in the round, only purling for pattern stitches and ribbing, and only in Continental style.  My one nod to my comforts is that I brought circular needles and didn't even glance at straight needles, because they suck (even though they're really really pretty).  I can't wait to get home to my dpns.  If I could get dps long enough (I hear they have them in Japan...), I would knit all of my sweaters with them, and only use circs for lace shawls.  The Virgin Mary knit her sweaters on dpns, so why can't I???  (Actual photo--->>>)

The class today, by the way, was at Soft Horizons in Eugene.  It's beyond gorgeous, in a Victorian house and totally packed with beautiful yarn and a small, tasteful selection of spinning fiber.  They stock the only art yarn that I have ever liked - a huge accomplishment - and the staff are sweet.  The teacher is the owner of the store, and she was great.  There were only three of us in the class, and I really appreciated the way that she interacted with us, giving us individual attention but enough time to get comfortable and practice the techniques.  The shop is walking distance from the University of Oregon, so I can pop by and knit for a while after class.

The more I get to know Eugene, the more I like it here!  Especially as a fiber artist, this is a great town, full of resources for knitting and spinning, and it's just beautiful.  I feel so lucky.


No comments:

Post a Comment