Thursday, October 3, 2013

October! The magic time!


October is my favorite month, my magic time, a time of settling into great change and of becoming more fully myself.  It's an amazingly gorgeous, perfect fall day in my valley.  I decided to take a slow day, and I drove to school in the afternoon (I had only one class at 2 PM due to my other prof having to go to a conference) so that Theo and I could have a slow, happy, productive day.  I still have much to do to get my things organized after moving the last load down - remember, I came home late, sick, in a typhoon, and with the first day of school starting the next morning!  Things have just had to sit until I have time.  We came into Eugene to get me to class, and then to pick up some bins for organizing my wool, which is simply EVERYWHERE right now, and I can't stand it!  We also took the time to get him out running around on the ridge, which is beyond beautiful with the autumn leaves and golden light of fall.  There's a pumpkin on the porch, and I fully intend on decorating for Halloween/All-souls/All-saints even if it's just me and the critters!  I have my own dead to honor, even if alone.

Last night I came home as the daylight was waning, and a big young buck was grazing in the lawn.  I'm always astonished by how large the deer are here, and yet how light.  He watched me pull in, then sprang up and bounded across the road, up the hill, and out of sight among the cedars.



Having Theo here with me is great, but my life feels completely different with my kitty, Celia, sleeping next to me.  Theo isn't very cuddly, but Cece is all love.  I don't feel lonely anymore.

School is great.  I didn't realize before how much folklore incorporates material culture, and that makes it even more relevant for my interests.  I'm wondering if I can get away with exploring culturally-specific breeds of domestic animals as folklore... I would love to do a folklore project on the Navajo Churro.  I'm also in an upper-level Spanish class, scared to death, but it's SO GOOD for me to be uncomfortable, so I can't complain!

The newly-repaired flyers for the Frank Fell/Mayville wheel and the little parlor wheel are great, and I've finally gotten a little bit of spinning done on those wheels.  Both are lovely, although I will always be partial to that Mayville wheel.  The wee sample yarn on the top photo was spun on the Vezina CPW and plied on the Fell.

All the fiber in this post is on Etsy, by the way.  Happy Spinning, and Happy October!


No comments:

Post a Comment